Prevention of dental disease and protection against dental anxiety are benefits that come with early and regular dental attendance. Other advantages include early detection and treatment of dental problems. This can mean minimisation of the amount and length of treatment. Early restoration of teeth with durable long lasting restorations will minimise the length of time in the dental chair for your child. Early treatment means we can aim to reduce dental extractions and the need for dental general anaesthetics.
Regular attendance allows us to monitor your child’s ever changing dental development and allows early intervention in conditions which are unique to growing children. Consultation with an orthodontist and other specialities are undertaken if required in order to maximise the potential for a healthy adult mouth.
Benefits of healthy teeth in childhood
- Attractive smiles give children more confidence
- Good teeth equal less toothache, less fillings and less extractions
- Children need strong teeth for a nutritious diet
- Teeth aid speech
- Good dental growth and development need healthy teeth and gums
- Preserving primary teeth helps prevent orthodontic problems
- Adult teeth are more likely to be decay free if a child has good baby teeth
- The less fillings and extractions children have, the less likely they are to develop anxiety or fear
- Good oral health prevents toothache which reduces a child’s quality of life, by interfering with sleep, eating, socialisation and schooling
- Healthy teeth help avoid bad breath
- A healthy mouth is necessary for good general health and wellbeing in childhood
- Saves parents time and money
- Prevents unnecessary exposure to general anaesthetic and hospitals